Friday, May 02, 2014

MAY DAY PIZZA



I am calling this my "May Day Pizza" because I invented it on this day but you can call it "Red onion and aubergine pizza" if you like!

First of all, make your pizza base: I guess we all have a favourite pizza base recipe and mine is in Claudia Roden's Mediterranean Cookery. I only use half the quantity, though.

While the dough is rising, slice 2 large red onions thinly and soak the slices in cold water for about 15 mins. Drain the slices well and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Then you need to cook them very slowly, in a heavy pan with the lid on, with 85 gr unsalted butter and some seasoning. This will also take about 15 mins. Stir them from time to time.

Rinse 6 - 8 slices aubergine preserved in oil, rinse them and drain again. Pat dry with kitchen paper.

When the pizza base has risen - after about 1 hour - roll it out into a rectangular shape on a floured board. Pull it a bit with your hands to get it the right shape for a baking tray. Put it on a lightly oiled baking tray and spread the contents of a 400 gr tin tomato pulp on it. [You could use a thick passata if you cannot get this.] Put the aubergine slices on top of this, then 200 gr mozzarella. [In Italy we can buy it already chopped up for pizza.] Lift the onions out of the saucepan with a slotted spoon and spread them over the top. Finally, add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary.

Cook the pizza at 180 - 200 C for 25 mins.  Add a few more fresh rosemary sprigs to serve.

Buon appetito.

Incidentally, I have read that Claudia Roden's The Food of Italy has been updated and republished to celebrate its 25th anniversary. Congratulations to one of my favourite cookery writers!

4 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Sounds delicious , not overloaded with lots of topping , which is the way I like it :-)

Happy May day x

Lee said...

That looks very tasty to me,and I had thoughts of having pizza today, but instead I have a chicken roasting in the oven along with all the obligatory vegetables. It's a rainy day here today...so I think a roast lunch will suit.

Perhaps it will be pizza time over the weekend. :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Ann. Hope you had a great May Day too. Thanks, Lee. Roast chicken sounds just what I need right now!

Liz Hinds said...

I love pizza! And that sounds good. I'll have to look for Ms Roden's pizza base recipe.

Counters


View My Stats