Tuesday, February 12, 2013

WELCOMING AN OLD FRIEND



Celeriac was a good friend to me back in Wales, where I found a salad based on it an excellent standby for all sorts of entertaining and for myself!  What's even better about it is that you can make the salad, dressing and all, a day in advance.  Sadly, I rarely find this vegetable in Sicily but when I do, I make the most of it.  On Saturday I found some and below is my celeriac salad recipe. I now perk it up with some chilli pepper and add carrot as a Sicilian touch:

Celeriac salad

Slice 1 large, peeled celeriac or 2 smaller ones in a processor and tip it into a serving dish. Add some grated carrot or carrot batons and a chopped red chilli pepper.  Make up a dressing of 5 tablesp olive oil, 1 tablesp white wine vinegar, 1 tablesp Dijon mustard, some dried oregano and seasalt and black pepper to taste. Mix the dressing well with a fork and then pour over the salad, stirring.  Cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Patrizia,
Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to you!!
I lREALLY love celery root salad also, but haven't even contemplated it for awhile, because where we live it can't be found. Must drive 3 hours to get it (and it is not always available), even in Dallas.
Your recipe sounds d e l i s h and you are so luck to have enjoyed your celeriaic recently!! But you know how fortunate you are
Sending hugs to you and Simi!
May you hear good music today!
xox
Constance

Lee said...

It's time for my lunch...and now I'm starving! ;)

Jenny Woolf said...

Ah, they are selling celeriac locally - thank you for reminding me. this looks lovely, Pat.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Constance. No probs. What a shame celeriac is not available where you are! Hugs to you, too. xx Hi, Lee. Hope you had a good lunch! x Thanks, Jenny. x

Counters


View My Stats