Tuesday, December 04, 2012

SAUSAGE STEW WITH A KICK

The recipe for a sausage and vegetable stew in the November edition of the Conad supermarket chain's Bene Insieme magazine turned out well:  the stew contains mushrooms, carrots, tomato pulp, rosemary [only I didn't have any so flavoured it with sage], onion, vegetable stock and, as you would expect, sausages. I added some pumpkin and potatoes [unpeeled] because I had them. The recipe tells you to add some white wine and rum but I didn't have any rum and can't stand the taste of it in any case; I did, however, have some Calvados in the cupboard so chucked a drop or four of that in. I found it did the trick!


7 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Wine and liquor? No wonder it had quite a kick. Glad to see you are improvising a l'italiana.

Lee said...

I like rum, but I'm with you as far as adding it to this dish. The Calvados, to my mind and taste would be so much better.

It looks and sounds great.

Claude said...

It sound very good, and easy to do. I don't know why. I would never add rum to a main course. Although I would do it to a cake. But a drop of wine will give a kick to the sausage stew. Thanks for the meal suggestion. As always...

Whispering Walls said...

Excellent - glad you're back on the hooch!

James Higham said...

Oh I can imagine it with rum - love it.

LindyLouMac said...

I would not have been at all sure about adding rum!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I often do,Rosaria. Hi, Lee. Glad you agree and thanks for the vote of confidence. Hi, Claude. Yes, easy. I feel the same about rum. Hi, WW. I'm not but it's OK when it evaporates as it does in a dish like this - well, more or less. Hi, James. I would hate it! Hi, LindyLouMac. Glad you agree too.

Counters


View My Stats