Friday, January 28, 2011

STINCO WITH PISTACCHI

Stinco di maiale, or pork shank, is a cut of meat much beloved of Italian housewives.  To be honest, there isn't much meat on it, which is why most people cook several together, but what there is can taste delicious.  There is something very rustic and homely about the aroma of stinco being cooked slowly in the oven and it is on my list of comfort foods.

For those of you who are in Italy, the recipe for this stinco in a chicken, cream, bread and pistacchio crust is in the January edition of Alice Cucina.  The first time I tried it, the crust burnt but the stinco meat still tasted good, so I decided that it was worth persevering. For my second attempt, I wrapped the crusted shank not only in baking paper, as in the recipe, but also in foil and, as you see, this worked!

5 comments:

J. M. P. said...

My goodness, this has to be delicious!

Gledwood said...

O wow that looks really nice.

Donde esta el Sabato Musicale?

Apologies for the wrong language and lack of Spanish upside down punctuation... I put up some tunes today. Even if you don't like them I thoroughly expect Simi to jump around to them and bark!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Josep. Thank you, Gleds. Sabato musicale just up! We are coming over to jump around!

Rowena said...

I looked at their website to see if the recipe was also posted there but unfortunately it's not. This looks fabulous, and shouldn't be difficult to figure out. Love the pistachios from Sicily...we put them in our fruit salads all the time (along with those wonderful sicilian oranges!).

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Rowena. I looked at their website too, to see if there was a link to the recipe that I could add. There are breadcrumbs in the crust, too. The sicilian oranges are really special, aren't they?

Counters


View My Stats