Monday, May 10, 2010

LIQUID GOLD



I chanced upon a farmers' market in Modica Bassa on Saturday:  there were stalls piled high with cheeses, tables teeming with purple broccoli, artichokes so fresh they looked as if they would get up and dance and all sorts of other spring produce.  October's olive oil was being sold  for 5 euros a litre and the texture of this traditional bread was too perfect to resist.   In times gone by shepherds would have carried bread such as this for it did not go off for many days.  They would have softened it with a little olive oil. 


Traditional, handwoven baskets were on sale too:

Further along the Corso I stopped for a gelato:



A perfect Saturday morning!

13 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Yummy! I would have had two gelati.

Claude said...

And I couldn't resist the fresh bread, the golden oil, and the ice cream either...What a lovely morning!

jams o donnell said...

ou make everything look deleicious, even the baskets!

Whispering Walls said...

Any fabulous shoes?

Nunyaa said...

The gelato looks inviting, love to have one of those baskets myself. Would look perfect in my kitchen :)

LindyLouMac said...

A perfect morning, absolutely.

CherryPie said...

The gelati looks delicious :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I wish I had, lakeviewer. You'd have loved it, Claudia. It's nice of you to say so, jams. Not in thr market, WW. There are in the shops, though - I didn't dare look! Hi, Nunyaa. They are rather nice. It was indeed, LindyLouMac. And they were, Cherie!

sally in norfolk said...

I would not have been able to resist the bread :-) BTW we are going to Rimini well a village nearby I think :-)

James Higham said...

Now that's really something.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Sally. I hope you have a great time there. I think so too, James.

Ellee Seymour said...

I'd love to visit one of your farmers' markets, I'd spend a fortune, however cheap the produce.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Ellee. You'd love it.

Counters


View My Stats