Saturday, April 24, 2010

POLLO AL SALE


Every now and then you come across a cookery book with recipes that you just know will work.  Some instinct seems to tell you that this book is for you.  I found such a book in the supermarket the other day.  It contains recipes from Cotto e mangiato, a cookery series which is incorporated into a lunchtime news peogramme every day. 



Last weekend I decided to try the chicken cooked in salt.  My butcher suggested I use two halves of a hollowed-out chicken rather than a crushed one, so that's what I did, with excellent results.  This video of the recipe from Italia 1 is in Italian but you'll be able to follow it even if you don't speak the language at all. Benedetta Parodi sprinkles a little water over the salt-covered chicken before putting it in the oven at 200 C for 1 hour 40 minutes.

7 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

I'm intrigued enough to want to try it out. I wonder, will it work with other meats too?

Unknown said...

Hi

Thanka my friend for visitting me.

Kisses

Devonshire Dumpling said...

So the recipe is:-
One hollowed out chicken
Herbs
Water
8 tonnes sea salt

Surely even removing the skin from the cooked chicken there will be a lot of salt content impregnated in the meat? So it is a very dangerous recipe for anyone with a medical problem that requires him or her to be on a no salt diet?

On the other hand, a huge intake of salt for anyone without a medical problem?

I love following your recipes and trying them out as they always make sense but I can’t for the life of me understand the benefits of covering something with so much salt when its healthier to bake with just a little oil brushed over the chicken so it does not burn.

I am very confused!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, lakeviewer. Yes, the techniue is used for fish and beef, too. Ciao, Kinha. always nice to have a visit from you, too. xx Hi, DD. Well, it's a very ancient technique, originating, I believe, in China. It does not leave the food salty as the salt crust is discarded and with it, any fat. The salt crust seals in moisture. I suppose it's similar to cooking in a chicken brick.Personally I think there's too much fuss made about salt avoidance these days but that's just me. I couldn't say whether this technique is a risk for someone who has been advised to avoid salt for medical reasons.

CherryPie said...

It sounds really interesting

James Higham said...

Ah, yes, the all important sea salt, m'lady. :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Quite so, James.

Counters


View My Stats