Some proverbs for this time of year for you tonight. See if you can match the proverbs 1 - 6 with their meanings a - f. You will find the answers at the end of the post.
1. Acqua d'aprile lu porcu ocidi, lu voi 'ngrassa e la pècura ridi.
2. Aprile chiuvusu, maja vinturusu: annu fruttuusu.
3. Aprile, come mi vidi; maju, come staju; giugnu, come sugnu; giugnettu, tuttu jettu.
4. Aprili, favi chini: s'un su' ccà, su' a li marini.
5. Àrvulu chi d'aprili nun fa ciuri, mancu nni fa 'ntra l'àutri staciuni.
6. Çiurietti e prirricaturi duoppu Pasqua nun anu sapuri.
a. A tree which doesn't flower in April will not do so in any other season.
b. The April rains kill pigs, fatten oxen and make the sheep laugh [meaning that wet grass is not good for pigs].
c. In April the broad bean pods are full, if not here, by the sea [meaning that broad bean plants growing near the sea are ready earlier].
d. In April, as you see me: in May, as I am: in June, as I am, too: and in July, everything off [ similar to the English proverb "Don't cast a clout till May is out", meaning that you shouldn't discard your winter clothing too soon].
e. Broccoli and priests have no taste after Easter [meaning there is a time for everything].
f. A rainy April means a windy May and a good harvest.
Highlight the space below to see the answers:
1b 2f 3d 4c 5a 6e