Monday, September 28, 2009

A "MODIFIED" JOYCE


Sorry there were no posts over the weekend, readers, but it has been a busy one.

Yesterday was Bloomsday in Modica, with talks about Joyce in the morning and evening, plus the opening, at the Palazzo della Cultura, of local artist Guglielmo Manenti's exhibition of paintings inspired by Ulysses and other novels by Joyce. I loved these works, especially those in which Joyce is depicted amidst very Modican scenery - a "MODified Joyce", as one of the speakers put it:


[I couldn't take good photographs due to the gallery lighting.]

A fine set of translations of Joyce into many languages was also on display - the Franco Antonio ["Ciccio"] Belgiorno Collection.




4 comments:

Minnie said...

So glad you enjoyed the event, Welshcakes. Your photography's fine, desite the lighting - thank you for letting us have a look, too.
We celebrate Bloomsday in Nice: JJ spent time here, and Riviera Memories stages an annual event celebrating him/'Ulysses' on the Tour Bellanda - right next to 'his' hotel. I was in this year's show, and loved being part of it.
Joyce wanted to settle in Nice; but his family were against it. Fascinating subject, and so glad you share my passion for this great writer.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you for your reassurance, Phidelm. I didn't know that about Joyce: I shall have to read up on his life. Thank you for sharing the info.

Sean Jeating said...

Gosh, almost I had missed this, completely.
If I remember correctly, there is a Sicilian who collects whatever copy of the Ulysses in whatver language he can get.
Fascinating event. Would like to live that, one day. :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Sean. You'd have loved this event.

Counters


View My Stats