Friday, September 18, 2009

FOODIE FRIDAY: MELON WITH RASPBERRY COULIS


Of all my recipe inventions, this is the one friends ask me to serve again and again. It's an appetiser, it's simple, it's good to taste and to look at and what's more you can freeze the raspberry sauce.

I don't get the opportunity to serve it often here as I've only found raspberries in Sicily on two occasions, one being last Monday when I was in Modica Bassa. I have tried making a similar sauce using frozen frutti di bosco [mixed red berries] and it is good, but not as good as the raspberry version.

Here's what you do: Put the contents of two punnets of raspberries in a bowl. Add some freshly squeezed orange juice [juice of at least four oranges] and caster sugar to taste. Purée the mixture using a hand-held blender or in a processor. Strain the mixture through a sieve. Chill to serve over slices of melon within an hour or two. Decorate with sprigs of mint and / or basil and if you know how to decorate the plate with those wavy sauce patterns that celebrity chefs and expensive restaurants like to create, feel free to do so. I don't and I think this is a dish that is all the better for looking a little bit messy with the sauce generously poured.

If you like, you can also serve this sauce over ice cream.

4 comments:

Peter @ italyMONDO! said...

Sounds simple enough, Welshcakes.... and tasty!

Question, though - is Caster Sugar the same as Cane Sugar (for us Americans)?

Gledwood said...

o WOW! That looks dee-lish!!

James Higham said...

We have a few raspberries over here.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Peter. I think you call it "superfine" across the pond! Thanks, Gleds. Yes, you do, James!

Counters


View My Stats