Tuesday, August 26, 2008

LA GENTILEZZA




Forgive me if I begin this post on what seems a negative note: after a difficult few days during which I have “bewept my outcast state” [for troubles, as many of you will know, do not often come singly], I really am leading up to something positive!

About a year ago, I wrote of a young man who joined some friends and me for a celebration , although he was very ill at the time and could swallow nothing but ice cream. The young man died last weekend and of course I have not stopped thinking of him. Nor have I forgotten the New Year’s Eve festa of 2005, where he was also present. At the stroke of midnight, just as the bells were ringing for a new year which he had not expected to see, the young man burst into tears in the arms of the relative who had been taking care of him. It was a poignant moment and one which I have never forgotten.

So today, when I was invited to an impromptu lunch by a dear friend, I thought about how lucky I am, to be here, to have been able to accept the invitation and to enjoy the wondrous fare: cold beef, well-matured Parma ham, grana cheese, lettuce and tomatoes from my friend’s garden, her own sun-dried tomatoes, fresh figs and the good bread of Sicily. Later there were grapes from a 200-year-old vine and what more could one require on what is perhaps the last day of the extreme heat? [For there are signs that the weather is about to break.]

Later still, my lovely hairdresser massaged my shoulders because he can read my mood and my tensions, before, as always, sorting out my head and that which covers it!

And I have received, from my friend, Nigel Slater’s Eating for England to read.

A day full of the gifts of life indeed, and there is no virtue more godly, if I may use such a word, than kindness. We must treasure the everyday kindnesses of each moment, for if we do not, it seems to this unreligious soul who is writing here, we are truly lost.

18 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

A very touching story WL.

So true, we must treasure the everyday kindnesses of each moment.

I think that is something we all forget to do, I am for one, am guilty of it, and it is only when I read stories like yours that I put everything into perspective!

Take Care x

jmb said...

Sometimes we need to look at others to put our troubles into perspective, don't we?
Kindness is something we should all practise and also learn to accept as well as extend.
Hope things are getting sorted out for you.

Rowena said...

A tender post Welshcakes, and a reminder that each and every one of us should appreciate every blessed moment that we have here on earth!

Now are those uva fragola in the last photo? If so, they are reminding me of the absolute purple mess that I made of my kitchen the other day. I was trying to extract the juice by using a potato ricer. Not a very bright idea at all!

Whispering Walls said...

Hi WL - I've sent you a tag

Dragonstar said...

It can be so easy to forget this in our daily woes (and yes, troubles come in batches.)

Kindness is such a gentle gift. It costs so little to the donor, but its effects on the recipient can be huge. Today I will be thankful for kindness.

Ellee Seymour said...

Kindness means everything to me too. Last night I had some friends over to look at my new kitchen and I told them I couldn't prepare any food as I was too busy with work, I would just serve some crisps and nuts and wine.

So Liz turned up with a home made cake, home made salsa and cheese bread, as well as wine and her lovely, smiling, happy family.

We are going on holiday again with Liz and her family next year. I can't wait.

I always remember and treasure the memories of when people are kind to me. You certainly have some special friends in Sicily who value you Welshcakes, which is why you have so many lovely invites to join them for meals.

Long may it continue.

marymaryquitecontrary said...

Life can be so hard at times. For that young mans family it must seem so difficult at the moment. Sometimes I wonder how we cope with trials put in our way,but we do,there is on other option. A visit to the hairdressers can achieve so much. I do hope you will feel better soon.

siciliawannabe said...

That was a very useful reminder that the simple things are to be treasured. Recognising the aspects of life to treasure is, of course, the true (but at times difficult)imperative. Your blog much appreciated.

Bella Baita Marla said...

Not a negative note really, just a thoughtful reminder to live it all up every day while we can. Thanks for sharing the bittersweet with the here and now. It's good to remember even when it's sad.

James Higham said...

Hang in there because all will be well.

CherryPie said...

Oh Welshcakes, trouble dose seem to come all at once to try us!

I think Jmb has said it all!

I hope things are better soon xx

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks,Anne. I think we all forget and we should not beat ourselves up about it. We are all busy just getting though, after all and as long as we help others when we can and when we know they need us, then that is perhaps all we can do.
You are right, jmb. Learning to accept kindness is hard for some, too. Ciao, Rowena. Not sure if they were uva fragola. There were no seeds. I am having a giggle imagining your kitchen mess! But in the end, don't such occasions make cooking fun?! Hi, WW. Over shortly. Thanks, dragonstar. I appreciate your commenting when you are still so upset yourself and I wonder how you are daily. Ellee, your friends sound wonderful and they obviously treaure you, as I do. Thank you, MM. I cannot imagine how the poor young man's family feel, either - or maybe I can. Little kindneses get us through, somehow. Siciliawannnabe, thank you. Many thanks, Bella. You make sure you do too, then , James... Thank you for your kind thoughts, cherrypie. xxx

Nunyaa said...

Kindness and manners are free, pity more people didn't have compassion that you have Welshcakes :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Many thanks, nunyaa.

Maria said...

A very touching story. There is no better form of life than kindness from family and friends.

It's always the smaller things in life that lead us to the greatest treasures!

(((HUGS))) for you and Simi,
M

Liz Hinds said...

Wise words, welshcakes.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I agree and hugs to you from Simi and me, M. x
Thanks, Liz. I don't often say anything wise!

Anonymous said...

I had a mail to day from a friend in Egypt, at the end of a story she had been telling me about she said , sometimes it is our windows that are dirty, not the washing on a neighbours washing line. That has so made me reflect today and yes it is true we do miss some brightness because we are looking through a "glass darkley"

Counters


View My Stats