Friday, August 15, 2008

BUON FERRAGOSTO!

It's the ferragosto holiday today and and most people are in the country or at the sea. The two-week closure of nearly everything drives me mad, as ever, but you can't begrudge the Italians, who work so hard all year, their break in cooler air. Next week we begin to get back to normal and guess who'll be the first customer at Raffaele the hairdresser's when he reopens? I need him not only to "magic" my hair into behaving, but to sort my mind out!

Here is Gino Paoli with a 2006 version of the greatest Italian summer song of them all. It's a song that has meant a lot to me over the years and I dedicate it to all Italians today.


SAPORE DI SALE

10 comments:

CherryPie said...

Sounds like you will be having a wonderful enjoyable time at the hairdressers!

jmb said...

Buon ferragosto Welshcakes. It is indeed infuriating if you are a tourist at that time.

marymaryquitecontrary said...

I am considering myself an honorary Italian for today. So thank you weklchcakes for posting this beautiful song. I really would love to know what he is singing about. Is it a song about a lost love or happy times? I have looked up a translation of the title,"a taste of salt" so it must be about a bad experience.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hu, cherrypie. But he won't open till Tues! Grazie, jmb. Ciao, MM and I'm sure the Itals are happy to have you as an hon! It's a happy song, actually, about a couple enjoying a lazy day at the sea: he watches her as she emerges from the sea snd lies down near him and the taste of salt and sea is what is on her breath as they kiss. You do have to hand it to Ital songwriters!

Nunyaa said...

Oh Welshcakes, that sounds like something I dream about LOL :)

marymaryquitecontrary said...

Woh! welchcakes;you say this songs means a lot to you. I am very pleased that it must be happy and romantic feelings.

James Higham said...

La Sicilia had an interesting article on it today.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Me too, nunyaa. Mary mary, the song has followed me through many Italian romances! Thanks, James. I will have a look.

Whispering Walls said...

Buon Ferragosto to you, WL!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hope you had a good one, too, WW.

Counters


View My Stats