Saturday, September 29, 2007

SATURDAY MEANDERINGS







This balcony, beneath which I pass every time I am down in Modica Bassa, particularly caught my eye this morning, perhaps because the sun was on it. Just looking at it lifted my heart.

Then I bought this prickly pear liqueur in order to get the cute, hand-painted ceramic drinking vessel that came with it. [I’m the lady who brought 912 ornaments with her to Sicily, remember!] All my life I have been fascinated by pretty, little ornaments and kitchen paraphernalia.

That, in turn, reminded me that I hadn’t shown you this: the completed pineapple liqueur. It needs to be left a couple of weeks now before drinking. If you look at the bottle on the right, you will see that the metal ring around the neck is still there: I used to remove these before reusing [sterilised] bottles but last time I tried to cut one off the scissors slipped into my thumb and I ended up in ER! I still have the scar from that one and years ago I nearly minced my little finger in a Bamix. What kitchen accidents have readers had?

7 comments:

Lee said...

Touch wood! I've not had any, so far, that have landed me in the ER. But, I've had quite a few burns and cut fingers over the years...mostly when I was cooking professionally...not so many at home...so far!

I accidentally dipped a finger (mine) in a deep fryer once...full of hot, hot oil...and it was just before the evening business was to begin...that was a painful night...each time I put my hand into water (a frequent occurrence in a busy kitchen) it hurt like hell...one good thing was as the evening got busier, I forgot about my deep-fried finger! ;)

jmb said...

Lots of nicks and burns but no ER visits either. But I once had to take my then 14 yr old daughter to ER for stitches to a very bad cut she acquired while making her lunch! Never would make lunch again for years.
912 ornaments then, what now?

James Higham said...

I bought this prickly pear liqueur in order to get the cute, hand-painted ceramic drinking vessel that came with it.

Only for that, m'lady?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Lee. That sounds agony! Hi, jmb. Haven't counted the ornamants since 2005! I'll keep the liqueur for a visit from you, Jamesie!

Crushed said...

Is there any fruit you CAN'T turn into a liqeur?

You seem to have tried most...

For some reason, your window picture made me think of Byron.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Crushed. I'll have to think. Byron - hmmm, I did the "Byron trail" in Liguria once.

Counters


View My Stats