Sunday, August 06, 2006

NAME-CALLING

The government wants to allow immigrants who can prove that they are integrated and competent in the language to take Italian citizenship after 5 years' legal residency here, rather than 10 as is the current regulation. Their children, if born here, will automatically become Italian citizens under the proposal and the immigrants will be able to vote and stand in local elections. "Give the vote to bingo-bongos?!" screeches the Lega [the Northern League which advocates separation from the South and an independent state in the North]. The remark would land them in court under the Race Relations Act in Britain, so I was gobsmacked as well as disgusted when I read the headline [in all newspapers here yesterday].
On another matter entirely, my hometown of Cardiff has made the headlines here! The story of the girl fired from her job there by text message is being widely reported.

1 comment:

Ballpoint Wren said...

I don't understand the "bingo-bongo" reference, but it's probably bad! It seems like the whole world is pretty open about their racial prejudices, which is why I hate it when I hear statements that the U.S. is a racist country, or the U.K. is a racist country.

Counters


View My Stats