Thursday, August 31, 2006

DUE BRINDISI

Thirteen years ago tonight, at 7.36 UK time, my mother died in my arms, at last finding peace following a very distressing illness. Wherever I am, I mark the anniversary by having a minute's silence for her at that time and then I drink to her. After that, I get on with my life as she would want me to do.

Tonight I drank two toasts on a Sicilian balcony: one to Mum and the other to the Sicilian friends who, with their kindness, helped me through the dark days of the autumn and winter of 1993.

Then, just as I thought there was no visible moon over Sicily tonight [for it has been a rainy afternoon and evening] it appeared, right in front of a cloud. As I write, even the cloud has disappeared. Now that has got to be symbolic!

2 comments:

Maria said...

I am sorry for you loss. I know how hard it is to loose a Mom. Wishing you all the best and thank you for showing such amazing strength. Love,M.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you both for your kindness.

Counters


View My Stats