- Handbags are still on the small side.
- Eateries are noisier than Italian ones but at least they are free of the ubiquitous televisions you find in the latter.
- Why did I get a separate "glass of ice" every time I asked for ice in my mineral water?
- There is a craze for sweet potato chips.
- Halloween has become a more pleasant festival than I remembered.
- When did people start saying "See you later" to mean "soon/sometime/never"?
- I was interested to see what kind of shops have survived the recession and was surprised to find several novelty shops in the centre of Cardiff still there.
- I was negatively flabbergasted at the cost of public transport and positively so at its efficiency [after 10 years in Modica].
- I was relieved that most people I talked to were more sympathetic to refugees than when I left and than the media would lead one to believe now. I was also relieved that most people I met did not think the UK will leave the EU.
Et plus ça ne change pas.....
As a post scriptum on my trip home, here is a note to Comiso Airport, a clean and efficient facility that we are justly proud of in these parts: I know Sicilians don't like to be comfortable, but the rest of the world does, so please can we have some seating outside the airport? Weary travellers waiting to be picked up after you close need somewhere to sit!