Tuesday, January 27, 2015

HOLOCAUST REMEMBRANCE DAY 2015

Image:  Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, UK


Voi che vivete sicuri
Nelle vostre tiepide case,
Voi che trovate tornando a sera
Il cibo caldo e visi amici:
Considerate se questo è un uomo
Che lavora nel fango
Che non conosce pace
Che lotta per mezzo pane
Che muore per un sì o per un no.


You who live in safety
In your warm houses, 
You who find warm food
And friendly faces when you return home. 
Consider if this is a man
Who works in mud, 
Who knows no peace, 
Who fights for a crust of bread, 
Who dies by a yes or a no.


- Primo Levi, writer, chemist and Auschwitz survivor, 31.7.1919 - 11.4.1987.

7 comments:

Trubes said...

Today I feel very sad,
My great grandmother was Jewish and escaped from Eastern Europe, as a child some time in the 1800's Although Jewishness was never mentioned by my maternal grandma, I always felt there was something missing in her background that she never spoke of, nor by my dear Mama, and they both looked as if they came from a Jewish family.
My thoughts and prayers today of all the innocent people who suffered the Holocaust either death or survival.
so sad.
Di .xxx

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry you feel so sad, Di. It is such a sad day, I agree.xx

Lee said...

Lest we forget...

Let's hope we never do. One would hope we've learned from it; but, sadly, I believe we haven't.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sadly, I fear you are right, Lee.

UBERMOUTH said...

That's so nice that you have honoured the holocaust survivors by remembering their plight.

James Higham said...

Indeed, Welshcakes, indeed.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you, Ubermouth and James.

Counters


View My Stats