Monday, October 14, 2013

ON THE STREET WHERE I LIVE - I THINK

I have suspected for some time that I am going batty in my old age and the fact that I don't know where I live any more does not reassure me:  to go home I still turn up the same side street off a long, main road and, like all its companion side streets, this one had always been known by the same name as the road... until the other day, when this suddenly appeared on the corner:



When one thinks of a vicolo in Modica, it is usually a little street like the one below that comes to mind - something like the one described by Modica's Nobel laureate Salvatore Quasimodo in his poem Vicolo[There is a translation here.] One does not think of a busy, modern street like the one I live in.



It is laudable of the Comune di Modica to go round giving these little streets their own names and honouring the great and the good of Italy in doing so, but it might be a wise move to inform residents of the change. The online stradario of Modica tells me only what I already know, which is where the street begins.

Incidentally, Benedetto Croce was the first philosopher whose work I read in Italian at university. I don't know if I officially live in his street but I'm being philosophical about it.

Mario Lanza - On the Street Where You Live

8 comments:

Saucy Siciliana said...

You are so funny Pat, I love your sense of humor! Mario Lanza...I had a 33 vinyl record of his most famous arias, who can forget his movie The Great Caruso!

CherryPie said...

We had our address changed some years ago at the whim of a councilor who thought the new name sounded 'posh'.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you, Francesca. I still have a vinyl of The Great Caruso! Hi, Cherie. How annoying.

Lee said...

How we loved Mario Lanza when we were kids. We never missed a movie of his. I have a CD of Lanza's - I should play it sometime soon; it belonged to my late brother.

Lanza had a wonderful voice...and those flashing brown eyes of his were delightful!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Lee. My Dad thought he was wonderful and I so loved my "Student Prince" LP! Grazie, WW.

Lee said...

Yes...I remember when I first saw that movie at a Saturday afternoon matinee; with Edmund Purdom lip-synching Lanza's voice. I loved the movie and the music, but was disappointed Lanza wasn't playing the prince.

Remember how popular "The Drinking Song" was at the time?

Memories, memories....

Liz Hinds said...

What a wonderfully Italian move!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Couldn't happen anywhere else!

Counters


View My Stats