The Befana, Italy's good witch, arrives tonight and will bring sweets to those of us who have been good and a lump of coal to the bad among us.
I love this video, which gives six reasons why the Befana is a better person than Santa:
1. She is ecologically aware, as she travels by broom.
2. She respects animal rights as she does not use reindeer.
3. She is working class, as evidenced by her non-designer clothes. [Not sure about that one!]
4. She is just, as she gives gifts only to those who deserve them.
5. She is tolerant, as her punishments consist of lumps of coal and a few ashes.
6. She is undemanding, as in return for her work, she asks for only a little bread soaked in wine or milk.
Viva la Befana!