Monday, February 06, 2012

A DIFFERENT TIRAMISU

Regular readers may remember that a recipe I very much like making is the strawberry tiramisù in Matthew Fort's book, Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons.  I have also adapted this dish successfully to apricots.  But when I saw a recipe for tiramisù alle banane in the January edition of Vero Cucina magazine, I admit I was hesitant.  However, I gave it a try and was very pleasantly surprised by the result:



The bananas are sautéed with a little butter and sugar before being layered with the crushed savoiardi biscuits and other ingredients and, as I don't like the taste of rum, I moistened the savoiardi crumbs with a little fichi d'India [prickly pear] liqueur.  If you don't want to use alcohol, I imagine fresh orange juice would be a good substitute.  That's freshly ground cinnamon over the top and, as it's carnival time in Italy, I decided a little colour around the edge of the dish was necessary and served it with chiacchiere.  I couldn't resist using  chocolate letters to wish everyone a good February and, if you are thinking that the second b in febbraio looks a bit odd, you'd be right - I'd run out of b letters and had to use two p ones with their tails nicked off!

Rosa and her daughter were the testers on Saturday and they pronounced the dish magnifico!

7 comments:

James Higham said...

Reminds me of alphabet soup, only yummier.

Claude said...

It looks delicious. Via your 2009 post, I was able to google Matthew Fort's original Tiramisu Strawberry. I'll do that one first, and (like you) graduate to other fruits. It seems so easy to prepare. Thanks again!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hadn't thought of that, James! Hi, Claude. Glad you managed to find the original Fort recipe. It is very easy and NEVER fails!

Whispering Walls said...

I remember the strawberry tiramisu!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thought you would, WW!

elleeseymour said...

It sounds delectable!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hope to make it for you one day, Ellee.

Counters


View My Stats