Monday, February 01, 2010

CAREFUL - DON'T SWEAR AT THE NEIGHBOURS!

This is an article of mine published in Italy Magazine today. I have to confess I swear like a trooper.

Italy’s highest court, the Cassazione, ruled on Thursday that Italians cannot use the equivalent of the f-word to their neighbours. In doing so, the Court amended a ruling it famously made in 2007, when it declared that the word had entered common language and therefore its use was no longer a crime. On that occasion the defendant was a councillor from Abruzzo who had used the word during a meeting with the Mayor of his town.

A later ruling from the Court in 2007 stipulated that bosses cannot accuse their employees of “doing f… all”. Then, in 2008 it ruled – probably in empathy - that mayors can use the word when frustrated with contractors. Later the Court decided that bosses cannot use the word at all to reprimand staff but that staff are justified in saying, “Who the f… do you think you are?” to a boss when reprimanded, Ansa reports.

When it comes to neighbours, however, honour enters the fray, according to judges who last week heard the case of an Ancona man who had used the word in a parking dispute with a neighbour. They ruled that if the word is used to a neighbour, it is a slur on his or her honour and that citizens must treat their neighbours with respect so that living near to one another remains possible.

Honour remains an important concept in Italy.

What’s your view on swearing? Are there rules where you are?

profile editor

profile editor

13 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

What a poor word. :)

RNSANE said...

Swearing has become so commonplace and I admit, I too, do a bit of swearing...certainly not in a work situation in front of my employer
( when I was employed ). I don't like hearing adults or teens swearing in front of small children, though, and I really get sick of adolescents, in groups, on the street, with their foul language, nonstop. Every other word is f%#* or mother f&*$er, in high volume, regardless of whom is around.

CherryPie said...

I am not really a fan of swearing. If I swear which isn't very often it means that someone has pushed the boundaries way to far!

Whispering Walls said...

Love it - you can only use the f-word to the Mafia! - but is it another example of curtailing freedom of speech in Italy?

Rowena said...

If you mean the vaffan**** word then by all means I'd rather not hear it, but if said neighbor is being a jerk on a consistent basis then by all means I agree with letting him have it, and it won't even include the "v" word. Che ca**o stai facendo al mio cane? (This to the crazy nut that was poking a stick through the fence at Maddie). Honor went out the door a long time ago but worsened when people started learning how to use the internet. Can you spell Facebook and Berlusconi? ;-)

jams o donnell said...

Sadly I swear far too much

Betty said...

I admit it...I swear in the privacy of my own home (and car). I wouldn't sware at the neighbor, a friend, etc.

I'm thinking this might be a difficult law to enforce.

lady macleod said...

So VERY Italian! I love it.

I am a swear-er. I do also however agree with the chap that said swearing was a lazy man's use of the language. I swear because I enjoy it, sometimes it is an emotional release like no other.

I came to swearing late but I learned from the best - the U.S. Navy SEALS! I do tend to not swear when I am well and truly angry, I fear then that I would say something I could not take back; so for me it is a fun thing only.

Claude said...

I grew up very French in Quebec. It gives me the advantage of muttering quietly a couple of choice words that my neighbours would totally miss, even if they deserve them. In English, I learned to use the word bloody before I knew it wasn't very ladylike. Alas! I still use it when life gets a bit tough!

Nerys said...

It's a good idea, but it'll never work - especially in Italy!! I swear much more in Italian than I do in my native languages, somehow it just rubs off on you...

James Higham said...

Yes but are you allowed to say it in Italian?

Devonshire Dumpling said...

If I am alone or driving I can swear like a trooper but I don’t swear in front of friends or to people’s faces. If I am sufficiently angry (it takes a lot to wind me up) I find lowering my voice and talking very very quietly to someone and being eloquent in my choice of words, delivered with the sweetest of smiles, winds someone up far more than if I had sworn at them.

Swearing in public or with friends? No
Swearing alone? Yes!

The house walls probably bleed at times with what I come out with. I constantly surprise myself with what I can mix and match.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Sean. Quite so. Hi, Carmen. I agree. There are situations in which you just can't. Hi, Cherie. I imagine it would take a lot to make you lose your patience. Hi, WW. I suppose it is. I've never, to my knowledge, tried swearing at the Mafia! Hi, Rowena. Yes, the vaffa word. Oh, there'd be no limits if someone was trying to hurt my dog! You and me both, jams. Hi, Betty. Yes, very difficult to enforce. Hi, Lady M. Glad to hear you learnt from the best and I would expect nothing less of you. I'm sure you swear with style. Hi, Claudia. I used to swear under my breath in French all the time when I was teaching in the UK - wouldn't have survived otherwise. You're a lot more ladylike than me! Hi, Nerys. I totally agree. Hi, James. No! Hi, DD. I am laughing imagining you having a good swear and the reaction of your walls!

Counters


View My Stats