Saturday, November 03, 2007

NOVELLO


Move over Beaujolais nouveau [OK, I know you’re not on sale until 15th November] – here is Sicilian novello! 2007 Italian novello wine officially went on sale at 00.01 this morning. Novello is red wine from the current vintage , usually bottled within a few weeks of the harvest. It has a fruity taste and should be drunk within 6 months.

This year grape-picking began 15 – 20 days earlier than usual due to heatwaves and drought in Italy. Production of this wine is down by one million bottles as compared to 2006, because of the temperamental weather conditions. This is ironic given that its popularity is increasing rapidly, although there are purists who dispute its status as a “wine” at all, because it is not aged. Another scandalising factor, for them, is that these wines are often served chilled.

The wine in the picture is from Corleone and, according to the label, tastes not only of the fruits but of the flowers of Sicily.

As to whether wine needs to be aged, I’ll go along with a Sicilian proverb on this:

Tuccanu lignu,
è vino binignu

= “As soon as it touches the wood [of the barrel] a wine becomes good”.

Next week I am invited to a friend’s house to celebrate the opening of his own novello.

15 comments:

James Higham said...

I dream of Corleone. The thing Italians do well is real drinking wine for now, for every meal, when you need it and need to stay on it for some time. The French haven't matched this yet.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, James. I agree. The Italians know how to drink in moderation and how to enjoy wine properly.

jmb said...

Too bad about the harvest Welshcakes. I'm sure many livelihoods depend on it and you can only increase the price so much to make up for it.
Enjoy that bottle and your friend's novello also.

Sean Jeating said...

There is a nice Sicily wine called "Ulysses". Ever tried, Welsh? :)
Buona domenica.

PinkAcorn said...

Is that brand available in the states? I could make out the "COPU" on the label but that's it.

Leslie: said...

Oh I wish I could join you in the opening! mmmmmm

marymaryquitecontrary said...

What a lovely party to be invited to. I am a teetotaler but can still appreciate the joy of the harvest. Computer out of action for a week so have to catch up.

Sharon said...

say wull this be on St Martin's Bay. Watch out for the drivers on the road!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jmb. You're right about the price. I think it's up about €1 on last year, if that. Hi, Sean. That's an Etna red, I think? Pink, I wouldn't know about US availability. It's a Principe di Corleone Cupido. Hi, Leslie - maybe you will one day! Hi, MM. Nice to have you back. Sharon, yes, on St Martin's Day - I'll be careful! I should explain to all that I don't actually drink wine. I'm interested in it and study it a little because I buy it for others or when entertaining but I don't drink it. I'm a g and t / Cointreau lady!

Eurodog said...

WL, I wish I could come to the wine tasting party. I like wine.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I wish you could too, eurodog.

jams o donnell said...

I'd not heard of Novello before. Enjoy the wine tasting

Now I have a hankering for some Brunello di Montalcino (I'd better start saving up for it!)

Whispering Walls said...

Maybe you should take some of your quince liqueur along, just in case.

Ellee Seymour said...

I'm impressed, you are one step ahead here.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jams. I'll have one for you! Ciao, WW. The quince won't be ready on time but I might take along some of the pineapple liqueur!
Thanks, Ellee.

Counters


View My Stats