Wednesday, February 15, 2017

ANYONE FOR "FUD"?

Finding myself in Catania yesterday, I decided to try out a restaurant called Fud which had been recommended to me by a student. 

Fud, you see, is how the word "food" sounds to Italians [the u is pronounced like oo in English] and the whole menu is deliberately written in this way, as are all the notices in the establishment.  I must say, I was a bit peturbed at the notice telling me to "use my ends", but then I realised that this clipped, aristocratic pronunciation, prevalent in the UK among the upper classes until about the 1960s - "hends" for "hands" - is exactly what is still, incredibly, being taught in some schools here. Drop the h, as Italians tend to do, and you have "ends"!



I ordered Fud cips, which the cooks there do not stint on, and a beefburger which looked and smelt so good that I forgot to take an elegant photo before I bit into it decisively. It was both enormous and excellent.  


I loved the phonetic spelling of "cheesecake" but not as much as I loved eating it!






You can see more of the menu here.

The service at Fud is friendly and attentive. Oh, and "real" English is spoken!

If you are ever in Catania, go and have some good food and a lot of fun at Fud!

No comments:

Counters


View My Stats