Wednesday, May 27, 2015

SWEET TALK



At long last I have Hope and Greenwood's delightful Sweets Made Simple book and am really looking forward to trying more of the recipes but first I have to equip myself with some liquid glucose, a substance I have never seen here, and, as Miss Kitty Hope emphasises so charmingly, a sugar thermometer.

The liquid glucose is not going to be a problem as when I asked where I could get it in the local pasticceria they kindly said they would give me some. The sugar thermometer, however, is proving more elusive and when I asked if they had any in a big electronics store that also carries kitchen equipment I was told,

"Oh, we don't have sophisticated appliances like that in Italy!"

I find that rather strange in the land of the espresso machine, Zanussi and Ferrari, not to mention world-renowned pastry-chefs and chocolate makers. I'm after a sugar thermometer, for goodness sake, not Bill Gates's entire stock of microchips! But I tried, Italy, I tried.....  

Now let's see what one of my favourite Italian Americans has to say about it:

Tony Bennett - Candy Kisses

8 comments:

Lee said...

If you buy online, Pat...look there for your thermometer. I buy many things online...just about everything except my food and grocery lines...that I shopping I do hands-on.

Our supermarkets here sell liquid glucose. Strange that it's not readily available where you are.

Pats for Pat's Bertie! :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I intend to, Lee.

James Higham said...

In Modica, does one need to make one's own?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, because they are different, James and because it is satisfying.

James Higham said...

A little like me making my own bread and pizzas now?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm impressed, James!

Saucy Siciliana said...

Pat, you won't believe it but I have been looking for a candy thermometer for ages!!! It is just not available anywhere, so like your friend suggests we better look online. I didn't think of that actually.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Francesca. I have found one online so I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Counters


View My Stats