Monday, August 18, 2014

A PATH FOR THE INTREPID

Last week, our street was closed for three days for lavori stradali [roadworks], much to the chagrin of my neighbours, who drive everywhere. [What anyone who was disabled was supposed to do during this period, I don't know - not go out, I suppose, it being assumed that they would have family to help them.]




The workmen helpfully cleared a pedestrian path around the hole



but the path came to an abrupt end here:




Several of my intrepid neighbours seemed to find clambering over the low wall quite normal





but take a closer look at the slope below it and you'll understand why I didn't take the risk!

However, I did make the acquaintance of several neighbours I hadn't spoken to before because they had never, to my knowledge, actually walked down the street and one day a kind workman carried my shopping right to the door.

Quannu a sorti ti voli aiutari, anfina a casa ti veni a truvari.
When Fate wants to give you a hand, it will come to your house to find you.
- Sicilian proverb

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, Welshcakes, the trick is to be 'just going out' as a man-worth-knowing-but-has-also-to-be-single is passing by. If you can be bothered...

Seriously, I hope you are now able to negotiate the journey with no hazards in situ.

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh barking mad. Reminds me of what I saw in Slovakia, where they'd dug up the middle of the road and piled the earth at the sides. People were just clambering up and down these huge heaps of earth with their shopping bags. Crazy.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'll try to remember that in future, Shirley! Yes, my dog thinks it's barking mad too, Jenny!

Lee said...

Being me, I just wouldn't have gone out until after it was all finished. I've always got more stock in my cupboards etc., than the local supermarket, so I'd be quite content staying at home with no chance of running out of anything.

What am I saying? I'm always content staying at home! :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Me too, Lee but I like to have a choice in the matter!

Counters


View My Stats