Wednesday, July 18, 2012

BUON COMPLEANNO, RAFFAELE!

Today is the birthday of my lovely hairdresser, confidant and psychologist, Raffaele and I'm sure you'll join me in wishing him many happy returns.  

I made this mandarinetto cake and decided a little Welsh was in order:



The "W" stands out more because the original one broke, so I had to dash to the supermarket to get another packet of chocolate letters and replace it at the last minute.  Once it's been in the fridge an hour or so, it will frost a bit like the others. 

The cake is an ordinary sponge cake flavoured with mandarinetto syrup:  While your sponge cools a bit, bring the juice of an orange to the boil with 50 gr sugar, stirring.  Let it boil for one minute.  Off the heat, add 2 tablesp mandarinetto or other orange-based liqueur.  Let it cool just a little and then pour over the cake.  Leave the cake in the fridge overnight. [I've given up trying to get sponge cakes to rise in Italian ovens so now I just use the farina per torte and let matters take their course!]

Tanti auguri, Raffaele!

5 comments:

Rowena... said...

I've always liked your Raffaele posts (and also the ones about trips to the post office!) so here's wishing him a very good day and summer vacation!

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

I am sure the cake was a great success as a birthday gift.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ill pass your good wishes on, Rowena - he'll be delighted. Thanks, LindyLouMac.

Liz said...

Great idea. I hope he appreciated it!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanka, Liz. Yes, he was happy1

Counters


View My Stats